Wednesday 22 October 2008

There but for the grace of God....

Every so often there is a news story that, even though it doesn't affect you directly, still strikes a chord in you, and makes you stop and think...

You may know that I am working my way (slowly) toward my Private Pilot's licence, and that since returning to South Africa I have been flying out of Rand Airport, in Germiston.

So when the news breaks of a plane crash at Rand Airport, my attention is certainly caught.

While I know none of the 6 individuals who lost their lives in this tragedy, my heart goes out to their familes. On a personal note this story stands out as the pilot himself had earned his Private Pilots licence two years ago and was flying himself and colleagues to the Orange Free State. That is the type of situation I would like to find myself in at some poiht in the future. Not flying colleagues, but perhaps myself and my family - going on holidays or day trips to places. My greatest wish when I was learning in London was to fly across the Channel to France - just to have lunch, before flying myself home once more.

I am due to fly this Sunday as I continue my progress toward my licence test and my licence itself. This certainly is a time to stop and think, "There but for the grace of God go I."

0 comments:

ss_blog_claim=5e7179a4973389379cb587fd31ed69cd ss_blog_claim=5e7179a4973389379cb587fd31ed69cd